top of page

Tofig Yagublu transferred to Correctional Institution No. 17

  • May 13
  • 4 min read
Read the latest updates on Tofig Yagublu’s transfer to Prison No. 17, his deteriorating health, and the Supreme Court's decision to uphold his 9-year sentence. Family reports of torture-like conditions and the end of his 26-day hunger strike.
Tofig Yagublu

The imprisoned Musavat Party and National Council member Tofig Yagublu has been released from quarantine and sent to Correctional Institution No. 17.


His daughter Nigar Hazi, who met with him yesterday, May 12, reported this. She said that her father still has difficulty moving freely and walks with crutches.


N. Hazi added that the institution where her father is currently being held is also cramped: "Imagine that the common area is so cramped that it is difficult not only to walk freely, but even to move. Cramped conditions, harsh regime, poor conditions, indifference to the seriousness of the problem with his knee, the days he spends writhing in pain - in short, Tofig Yagublu is being held in torture despite his guilt."


According to him, conditions in some other institutions are more favorable.


N.Hazi also believes that T.Yagublu needs urgent medical examination and treatment.


It was not possible to get a response from officials of the Penitentiary Service to these statements.


May 4

Family says Tofig Yagublu cannot walk freely

Related people have announced that Tofig Yagublu, a member of the Musavat Party and the National Council, who is in prison, has developed health problems.


His daughter Nargiz Hazi says that her father has been quarantined in Penitentiary No. 17 for weeks: "Last week, although he was legally allowed to call home twice, he only called once. I spoke to my father a little while ago. When we met last week, he said that his knee was swollen. Since we had not spoken since the meeting, we did not know how his knee was. When we spoke now, he said that his knee was swollen, and he was in severe and unbearable pain. He said that he was already walking with crutches. Although we bought him a knee brace last week, it turned out that they had not given him one yet. Medical examinations have been restricted."


According to his daughter, in addition, T. Yagublu said that although he expected to be taken to the general area today, May 4, he was told that he would still be kept in quarantine.


His family claims that the prejudice against T. Yagublu continues.


It was not possible to get a response from the Ministry of Justice and other responsible official bodies to this statement.


April 2

The decision on Tofig Yagublu remained unchanged: 'Aliyev is taking revenge on my father'

The Supreme Court also upheld the 9-year prison sentence of Tofig Yagublu, a member of the National Council and the Musavat Party. The decision was announced in the Supreme Court on April 2. Judge Ilgar Gilicov said that the cassation appeal filed by T. Yagublu and his defense lawyers is not satisfied, and the decision of the lower court remains unchanged.


Unlike previous hearings in the Supreme Court on T. Yagublu's case, this time the politician was not present when the decision was announced.


T. Yagublu's daughter Nigar Hazi told Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty that her father expected to attend the trial. He is being held in the Baku Pre-Trial Detention Center in Kurdakhani precisely because of his participation in the Supreme Court proceedings. N. Hazi believes that her father was deliberately not brought to court.


Regarding the Supreme Court's decision, N. Hazi says that once again a political order was carried out: "Unfortunately, it happened as we expected. For years we have been coming to Azerbaijani courts to see this. Not only the whole country, but also the world knows how Tofig Yagublu was slandered. Ilham Aliyev is taking revenge on Tofig Yagublu and does not hide it. But the day will come when those who slander people and carry out orders will also be punished."


T. Yagublu's lawyer Nemat Karimli told Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty that the Supreme Court's decision has exhausted domestic legal remedies. After receiving the decision in writing, they will file a complaint with the European Court of Human Rights.


March 20

Tofig Yagublu ends hunger strike

Tofig Yagublu, an imprisoned member of the Coordination Center of the National Council and the Musavat Party, ended his hunger strike on March 20. The politician's daughter, Nigar Hazi, announced this on her Facebook account.


"Today, Tofig Yagublu was on the 26th day of his hunger strike. In the morning, when we least expected it, his father called home... We pleaded with him a lot to stop the hunger strike. We conveyed both the public's wishes and demands, as well as the requests of relatives and friends. At the same time, we said that his hunger strike had achieved its declared goal. We brought to his attention that the public, the international community, and especially the US Congress, had taken control of Tofig Yagublu's defense at various levels... After all this, Tofig Yagublu said that he had stopped the hunger strike," - writes N. Hazi.


According to him, serious work is being done in the US to protect T. Yagublu: "I simply cannot share this now. You will know when the defense officially announces it."


Comments


bottom of page